University Packing List

I'm writing this before results day so fingers crossed I'll actually be going to uni this year because else this post will be incredibly awkward but I thought I'd create a concise list of things that you'll need to take to uni because I've seen a number of people feel completely clueless as the lists online differ a lot and I'm not saying that you should completely stick to what I say because obviously I haven't actually been to uni but I've done a lot of research into creating this post so hopefully it will be of some help to you...

Bedroom
  • Duvet 
  • Duvet covers 
  • Sheets
  • Pillows
  • Pillow cases
  • Blanket - obviously this isn't essential if you have a duvet but who doesn't love a blanket tbh?
  • Cushions - again, not essential but it may give your room a more homely feel
  • Desk lamp - check with your uni whether or not these are provided though
  • Rug - this isn't a necessity but I know I'll be taking mine to brighten up my room a bit
  • Mattress protector - this is one of the first things I bought for uni because the thought of sleeping on a mattress that has been slept on by god knows who freaks me out a bit
  • Clothes hangers 
  • Some sort of desk tidy
  • All of your favourite things that will make you feel at home. For example, I'll be taking random items for my pin board 
  • Reed diffusers - you're not allowed candles but you still want a lovely smelling room
  • Alarm clock, or just use your phone if you want to save some money
  • Laundry bag or basket
  • Books
  • Some sort of tin or container to keep a secret stash of snacks 
Bathroom (I will be having an ensuite so you probably won't need all of this if you're sharing)
  • Towels - I'll probably take three towels with me, two for normal showering and then one for my hair dye but obviously it just depends on how many you feel that you need
  • All of your wash stuff - I don't know what you use in the shower but make sure you bring it
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Mouthwash if you use it
  • Painkillers if, like me, you're constantly ill
  • Some sort of shower caddy to keep it tidy
  • Shower mat 
  • Floor mat
  • Bin if it isn't provided
  • Toilet roll
  • Cleaning supplies - I'm not sure if all unis have cleaners for bathrooms but cleaning your own
  •  bathroom is important too as you don't want to be living in dirt. My mother went a bit overboard and has bought me a massive mop for my bathroom...
  • Sanitary towels/tampons if you're female
  • Plasters - maybe not everyone needs these but I know I'll be taking a mini first aid kit because I'm literally always falling over
  • Hand wash
Kitchen
  • Plates 
  • Bowls
  • Mugs 
  • Glasses
  • Paper plates for when you don't want to wash up
  • Cutlery - I've had my eye on a glittery set from Asda for a while now
  • Saucepans
  • Wok 
  • Frying pan
  • Oven trays - is that what they are called? I want to say baking trays but that doesn't feel right either?
  • Egg timer - ok this definitely isn't essential but my mother bought me a boiled egg timer in the shape of a chicken that changes colour and that just proves how extra I probably am
  • Tea towels
  • Kitchen roll
  • Cleaning supplies 
  • Washing up gloves
  • Washing up liquid, oh I'm going to miss my dishwasher
  • Cheese grater or just do what I do and buy already grated cheese
  • Tin opener
  • Knives - I actually bought a knife block but you probably don't need that
  • Oven gloves
  • Tupperware for leftover food or to carry your lunch around
  • Pizza cutter (life hack: just use scissors, SO much easier) 
  • Scissors 
  • Measuring jug
  • Bottle opener
  • Cling film/tin foil/sandwich bags
  • Colander 
Misc
  • Alcohol unless you don't drink, of course
  • Door stop, I've seen this on every list ever
  • Blu tac
  • Washing powder
  • Batteries, you never know when you're going to need batteries
  • Ethernet cable, apparently some wifi isn't great
  • Ear plugs
  • Clothes dryer - I don't know what other people call it but the thing that you eh... lay your clothes on to dry?
  • Hand sanitiser - this is good to keep anywhere in your accommodation and in your bag
  • Febreeze/any type of room spray
  • Umbrella
  • Washing powder
  • Command hooks
Stationery supplies/Electronic items
  • Laptop/Computer and charger
  • Phone charger
  • Earphones
  • Any hair appliances
  • Notebooks
  • Ring binders
  • Plastic wallets
  • Pens
  • Highlighters
  • Pencils, depending on your course
  • Post it notes
  • Ruler
  • Calculator
  • Planner/diary
  • Hole punch
  • Sellotape
  • Extension lead
Obviously this doesn't include personal things and clothing because well let's be honest, I don't know which clothes you're going to take! However, hopefully it gives you a rough guideline to get you prepared for this new chapter of your life. Also, remember all of your important documents like a form of ID!

If you're looking for some reasonably priced places to buy your uni stuff because obviously you don't want to be spending loads of money, I've bought a lot of mine from B&M, Asda, Poundland, Primark and IKEA. Definitely worth checking them out and also remember to check the sale sections of places because there's often really good bargains! I often find this with TKMaxx.

What do you think is the most important thing to move out with?

Lauryn



No comments:

Powered by Blogger.